Unconscious Bias: The Wizard of OZ Perspective
Lenora uses the characters of the Wizard of Oz as a metaphor to help you understand how you can use your brain, heart and courage to accelerate positive results with diverse teams in today’s multi-cultural world. This unique, fun, yet thought-provoking message will inspire you to embrace the strengths you have and to value the strengths of others to increase your organization’s options for higher performance in all areas of talent management. By discovering how and why bias is normal, you will uncover strategies to go beyond stereotypes to create and sustain an environment that supports high productivity through intentional inclusion. Lenora uses OZ characters, and music from The Wizard of Oz and The Wiz to create an entertaining and impactful learning environment.
As a result of attending this session, you will:
• Understand the brain science and research results that explains the impact of bias and unconscious bias
• Explore results focused ways to learn about and interact effectively with people different from yourself
• Examine tactics to engage others through cultural curiosity instead of stereotypical judgments and cultural criticism
• Recognize the key role of leaders as sponsors, allies and mentors that strengthen performance results in all areas of talent management.
Beyond the Vision
Lenora uses personal stories, metaphors, audience interaction and quotes from Martin Luther King, Jr. and others to help you discover how you can use your abilities and courage to make a real and sustainable difference in today’s multicultural world. This uplifting, yet thought-provoking message will inspire you to embrace the unique gifts you have and to value the gifts of others to increase your options for positive change.
By realizing the power to make a difference is within each individual, you will discover ways to go beyond stereotypes and bias to create an environment that supports high success while celebrating differences.
As a result of attending this session, participants will be able to:
- Apply techniques to interact effectively with people different then themselves
- Connect to others with compassion instead of through stereotypical judgments
- Engage their courage to lead sustainable inclusion changes for business, community and family.
S.T.O.P.℠ – Technique For Reducing Culture Collisions
There are barriers, booby traps, and blocked roadways on our journey toward achieving cultural competence. What do you say to the co-worker who always wants to touch your locks or braids? How do you tell your manager to stop giving you a high-five every time he agrees with something you say? How do you get your Baby Boomer colleague to stop reminding you that you are too young to know…?
The biggest barrier to giving feedback in these situations is the fear most people have when it comes to speaking up in a respectful way to encourage others to stop insensitive or inappropriate behavior. One of the major reasons people do not speak up more often when they experience inappropriate behavior is because they do not know how to speak up when they have to interact with the offender on a regular basis. If the offender is your manager speaking up may seem too dangerous. If the offender is a colleague in your department, well it is easier just to be silent. Or is it? That silence perpetuates inappropriate behavior.
Lenora’s four-step process called S.T.O.P. ℠ for giving feedback is easy to understand and it produces successful results that can be used at work, home and even with children. This program can be delivered in person, live, virtually or via e-learning. Contact Lenora Billings-Harris for details. Click here to see a snippet of the process.
From Adversaries to Allies: 7 Keys to High Performance Cross-Gender Communication in the Workplace
In order to accomplish large scale results in a climate that is sometimes unconsciously adversarial, key skills are needed to conduct the courageous conversations that get things moving and keep them on target.
This fun yet practical presentation will accelerate your communication skills across genders and your ability to harness support in unlikely places. You will explore ways to reframe your cross-gender communication for highly effective results. This research-based session will help you uncover unintentional barriers to effective cross-gender productivity and engage in techniques that recognize communication differences without judging them. You will discover your own hidden communication strengths. This session produces the best results when both men and women learn the key skills presented.
As a result of applying the principles and skills discussed, you will be able to:
- Discover the unconscious biases – blindspots- that hinder cross gender productivity
- Identify the 3 major male and female communication tendencies
- Explore the 5 micro-aggressions that hinder effective cross-gender communication
- Manage gender conflict more effectively
- Access worksheets with tips, assessments and worksheets for future application
The focus of this session is on communication solutions not gender bashing, thus both men and women can enhance their effectiveness.
The Diversity of Communication
BRING OUT THE BEST IN YOUR TEAM! The toughest aspect of leading others is communication because there are so many factors to consider. During this session you will learn the FOUR key communication/behavior styles and how to identify the preferred styles of each of your team members. You will be able to complete your own DiSC profile and identify your strengths as a leader.
DiSC® Classic can help you:
- understand your own behavior
- learn how and when to adapt your behavior
- improve communication results
- promote appreciation of differences
- enhance individual and team performance
- reduce conflict
- increase employee engagement
TRAILBLAZERS’ Secrets Revealed:
How to Accelerate Business Results through Inclusion and Diversity
Uncover critical strategies and successes related to world class diversity and inclusion management used by award-winning organizations such as Dell, Sodexo, IBM, the Coca-Cola Company and others. Lenora Billings-Harris, co-author of TRAILBLAZERS: How Top Business Leaders are Accelerating Results through Inclusion and Diversity will lead you through the key components of measurable success related to:
- CEO Commitment
- Chief Diversity Officer Competencies
- Making Diversity Education Effective
- Engaging Middle Managers
- Metrics & Scorecards that Contribute to Business Success
You will leave this session with clear, specific strategies and tactics that can help make your organization’s diversity and inclusion plan world class.
To encourage the most involvement you will work in small groups, as well as contribute to the large group via the use of innovative sharing techniques. This session is learner-directed, allowing the highest possible opportunity for self-discovery.
Turning Barriers into Bridges: Reversing the Impact of Unconcious Bias on Talent Mangagement
In today’s world, culture is much more than ethnicity and gender. It is all the ways we are similar and different. As the dramatic shift to a highly diverse workplace continues, organizations know they must help employees understand, accept, and capitalize on differences as well as similarities. They know the cultural backgrounds and experiences of diverse teams and clients can enrich the organization, making it more innovative and competitive, yet the institution’s ability to manage these organizational changes can strengthen or impede results.
Enhancing your inclusion management practices enables you to make systems changes that help attract and retain the best talent. This highly interactive, non-judgmental and fun session provides an opportunity for participants to discover how and why unconscious bias impacts talent management and other business decisions; and then how to minimize its effects in order to increase positive bottom-line results.
As a result of attending this session, participants will be able to:
• Improve their awareness of the impact of their micro-behaviors on others
• Understand the neuroscience of bias and decision making
• Limit the influence of bias on their talent decisions
• Explore the Four Cornerstones of Cultural Competence that accelerate organizational results
Reaching Today’s Multicultural Market
Are your sales representatives losing opportunities to close sales because they are pre-judging the client or customer? Are they only prospecting and selling to people who are "just like them?" This program is for people who know the basic steps of selling, and are looking for ways to increase sales results through effective relationship-building techniques with a diverse market that includes differences of age, gender and ethnicity. Many of the best practices in Lenora’s book, Real Sales Strategies that Work will be shared and discussed.
As a result of applying the principles and skills presented, you will be able to:
- Identify key behaviors that often reduce trust, respect, and cooperation across diverse groups;
- Quickly identify a prospect’s “comfort zone” surrounding the sales process and determine the best ways to initiate contact, make the presentation, negotiate, close the sale, and maintain positive client relationships;
- Develop sales plans that address the uniqueness of each customer.
Effective sales professionals take the time to read their customer or prospect before launching into the sales process. Multicultural sales skills will help you read a broader mix of customers more accurately.