We've now made it easier for you to research and save your favorite keynotes speakers. Click on the + sign to add a speaker to your Speaker List and email your favorites to colleagues and friends.
$10,000 - $15,000
$7,500 - $10,000
As an international Crisis Management, Suicide Prevention and Leadership Skills presenter, Sergeant Kevin Briggs’ story and lived experiences have been featured at the Technology, Entertainment, and Design 2014 Conference as a TED Talk, Ciudad de Las Ideas (Mexico), NBC’s Access Live, Yahoo News, The New Yorker Magazine, Men’s Health Magazine, NPR’s Bob Edwards Radio Show, People Magazine, USA Today, as well as other magazines, newspapers, radio, and podcasts across the world. His first book, Guardian of the Golden Gate: Protecting the Line Between Hope and Despair, was released in July 2015.
Kevin Briggs, a retired California Highway Patrol sergeant, spent many years patrolling the Golden Gate Bridge. While on patrol, he encountered numerous individuals clinging to life by a thread – individuals who had lost hope and could see no way out of their current situation - ready to jump off the bridge to what they assumed was a sudden death and ending of their pain and hopelessness.
Briggs, through his compassion, gentle voice, eye contact, and his innate ability of “listening to understand” encouraged more than 200 individuals over his career to not end their life, but to begin a new chapter. These challenging but rewarding efforts earned him the nickname “Guardian of the Golden Gate.” After spending 3 years in the United States Army, 3 years with the California Department of Corrections, and 23 years with the California Highway Patrol, Briggs retired to dedicate his life to promote mental health awareness across the globe through Pivotal Points, an organization he founded.
Today, Kevin Briggs is mapping a movement as he speaks and trains others in suicide prevention, crisis management, and negotiations. He shares his “Listening to Understand” skills followed up with key active listening points and discusses in-depth his own personal mental health struggles. Briggs spends the majority of his time speaking/teaching at conferences, advocacy events, colleges and universities, first responder conferences, law enforcement (including FBI & Secret Service), and military bases. He also works with the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP), National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), corporations, and other venues.
Interventions with Individuals in Crisis
• Understanding the importance of empathy and understanding in crisis communication.
• How “Listening to understand” is critical in the communication process.
• Specific interactions (case studies) with individuals contemplating suicide.
• Enhancing communications skills.
The High Price of Mental Illness in the Workplace
• Compassion fatigue/vicarious trauma/moral injury.
• Employee mental health and its role in a company’s success.
• Creating a mentally healthy workplace.
• Quality of Life: A guide to making every day count.
• Living and thriving with a mental illness.
• Signs presented by an individual in crisis/contemplating suicide.
• Familiarization of effective communication tools.
• Interacting with adolescents in crisis/regarding suicide of peer.
• RELEASE Model for working with individuals in distress or a crisis.
• Developing a following a Crisis Safety Plan.
• Understanding Non-Suicidal Self-Injury and coping strategies.
• Understanding the process of an individual grieving from suicidal loss.
Quality of Life
• Quality of Life Triad: A guide to maintaining a healthy mental and physical lifestyle.
• Understanding stress hormones and the impact they have on you.
• The importance of support systems and professional care.
• Understanding how stress affects our health.
Active Listening Skills
• Components of Active Listening Skills (ALS) – Techniques utilized to de-escalate situations that may have otherwise turned violent.
• Gain confidence in your ability to communicate effectively.
• Role play utilizing components of ALS.
Suicide Prevention and Postvention
• Understanding factors that play a role in the development of mental illness
• Specific case studies from encounters on the Golden Gate Bridge
• Mental Illness: Facts, myths, and how YOUR life may be affected
• Understanding how to approach and communicate with someone who may be in crisis.
• Determine a course of action utilizing empathy, understanding, and active listing skills
• Provide insight to suicide loss survivors on coping, their emotions, and acceptance of loss
Law Enforcement/First Responders
Mental Illness Contacts, Moral Injury/Vicarious Trauma and Post Incident Mental Health
• Crisis negotiations. Specific interactions with suicidal individuals.
• Post-Traumatic Stress Injury.
• Administration’s role in officer/staff well-being. Pre and post-critical incident.
• Understanding Compassion Fatigue, Moral Injury & Vicarious Trauma. The impact they can have on your life.
• Self-Care/Quality of life
• Courageous Conversations: Communicating with an officer/staff member in crisis.
Mental Health Professionals
• How “Listening to understand” is vital to successful interactions.
• Specific interactions with an individual contemplating suicide.
• Enhancing communications skills: What to say and what not to say.
• Self-Care and your own quality of life.
• Case studies of suicidal individuals on the Golden Gate Bridge.
• Understanding Compassion Fatigue, Moral Injury & Vicarious Trauma.
A wonderful bureau to work with! Big ups to everyone who helped make our event a success. Fingers crossed we get the chance to collaborate fo..
"As always, you are the best most responsive speaker bureau I've ever worked with!"
Angela Schelp was a great partner in finding the right kick-off speaker for our conference. This was my first conference identifying the keyn..
I just wanted to thank Matt Meyer and Sheryl Moon for their meticulous assistance with identifying, securing and preparing our chosen guest s..
This was my first experience using ESB to locate and secure a keynote speaker for my Corporate event. They were extremely easy to work with a..
"Matt Meyer was really wonderful in assisting me to find the correct keynote speaker for our conference. Jenny Foreman was completely on top ..
"As always, Executive Speakers Bureau helped us execute another flawless event. It is always so reassuring to know that you have a team behin..
"What stands out about the times I have worked with Executive Speakers Bureau is their lightning-fast response time. ESB’s account exec..
"I've worked with Richard and ESB for many years and he's always able to deliver for us. He works hard to meet your speaker goals within the ..
"Angela is the best!!! I can always count on her honest feedback about speakers. She helps me look like a hero to my company!"
Call to discuss how we can you help find the right speaker(s) for your organization.
© 2023 Executive Speakers Bureau. All Rights Reserved.
Design and Developed by eBiz Solutions
Executive Speakers Bureau consistently receives praises about our speed and efficiency. From the beginning of your event planning, our extensive online speaker database and resourceful staff allow us to quickly equip you with the best speaker for your event.
Need a last minute speaker? No worries. Our speed and efficiency help us give you ideas for speakers in one hour or less.
November 11, 2021