PASSION FOR WORK(LIFE)
Are you building a body of work you can be proud of? When you channel a passion for work into something useful to others, the world around you
changes. In this talk, you will learn a practical process for identifying
personal and organizational passion areas, and a framework for applying
them to the work you’re already doing. Additionally, you’ll understand why so many people and teams get stuck in a place of mediocrity, and how to avoid these common ruts and pitfalls so that you can unleash your best work.
(This talk is based on Todd’s book Die Empty: Unleash Your Best Work Every Day.)
- How to identify core personal and team passion areas.
- How to spot and dismantle the seven “deadly sins” that lead to
mediocrity and stagnancy.
- Tools for defining your battle lines and building your daily
activity around them.
- Tactical questions that help you surround problems and avoid “busy
- How daily choices build a body of work that you’ll point to with pride.
HOW TO BE BRILLIANT AT A MOMENT'S NOTICE
Can you improve your odds of having great ideas when you need them
most? Yes! While creative ideas can be elusive, with a few purposeful
practices you can set yourself up to have great ideas, even under pressure. Learn the basics of life and work rhythm, and how to build an infrastructure that supports your personal and team creative process.
(This talk is based on Todd’s book The Accidental Creative.)
- How to spot the three assassins that rob people and teams of
- How to build predictable rhythms and practices that unleash your best
- The elements of rhythm (focus, relationships, energy, stimuli, hours).
- How to use challenges and “the big 3” to gain focus for yourself and
- The five kinds of conversations you need to have for healthy
- How to prune and manage your energy.
- The kinds of stimuli that lead to brilliant ideas.
- How to avoid the “efficiency trap”, and invest in long-term
THE POWER OF AN AUTHENTIC VOICE
Your work tells tales. It speaks about you, your values, your hopes, your
ambitions, and ultimately what you deem worthy of your energy and
attention. The key to making your work speak loudly and resonate with
others is to uncover, develop, and then bravely use a voice rooted in
In this talk, you’ll discover how to develop the core drivers of an authentic, resonant voice (authenticity, uniqueness, precision, consonance, empathy, timing), and why some voices connect deeply while others simply miss the mark. You’ll also learn why your most resonant work results when you are mindful of three key factors: what you care about, what your audience cares about, and ideas already gaining momentum.
Those people and teams who are brave enough to cultivate an authentic
voice are impervious to cultural noise. They are the ones who change the
game and resonate deeply with their intended audience.
(This talk is based on Todd’s book Louder Than Words: Harness The Power Of Your Authentic Voice.)
- Why authenticity is more important now than ever for leaders and
- The three drivers of the Voice Engine (Identity, Vision, Mastery).
- The six markers of resonant voices (authenticity, uniqueness,
precision, consonance, empathy, timing).
- How to build “dailies” that build skills and improve your ability to
connect with others.
- The questions that help you refine your personal passion areas.
- How to define your Intended Audience, and refine your vision for
- The specific steps involved in cultivating empathy in your work.
THE ESSENTIALS OF COLLABORATION
Lack of effective collaboration kills teams, but it’s easier to default to old
habits and familiar systems when the pressure is on. If you want to do
brilliant work, you must understand why collaboration breaks down, and
what to do about it. In this talk, you’ll learn how to effectively engage in
conversation about process, gain a better understanding of your coworkers’ motivations and goals, and how to set yourself up for long-term success in the marketplace of ideas.
- The three unhealthy dynamics that cause teams to go off the rails.
- How to spot unhealthy habits and “relational residue”.
- How to lead a team through a project, and establish accountability
and clear expectations.
- The five conversations that lead to brilliant collaboration.
- How to refine the team’s focus by establishing clear challenges.
LEADING THROUGH UNCERTAINTY
There are certain core attributes that brilliant, effective leaders share,
especially in the face of uncertainty. In this talk, you’ll learn how to deal with the uncertainty inherent in our ever-changing marketplace, how to set your team and co-workers up for success, and what great creative leaders do consistently to unleash their best work every day.
- The practical daily, weekly, and monthly rituals of effective leaders.
- How to build trust and respect from the people you lead, and why you
- The five essentials of leadership effectiveness.
- Specific questions and conversations that lead to better
- How to balance personal ambition and organizational objectives